I stumbled towards the Meat House, my body shaking with the violence that raged within me, as the realisation of the mistake I had made in coming here rose to the surface of my mind. This was the last place I should be. That thought was crossed by another, even more terrifying.
This is exactly where I belong.
Asa’s running from a troubled past. To a remote outback town, a disappointing father and a fresh start that’s already souring.
But then the notorious Dirt Circus League arrives. A troupe of outcast teens performing spectacular fight sequences and challenging any who dares to take part. They’re ruthless. Menacing. Thrilling. And led by the magnetic Quarter. He’s dark, powerful and intensely attractive—and he faces a threat only Asa can see.
Will Asa be drawn into the league’s mysterious community?
And, as she discovers the violent secrets at its heart, will she delve into her own untapped abilities to save herself—and heal those caught in its evil web?
‘A gripping and intense genre-bender that doesn’t pull punches, set in Australia’s beautiful but hostile far north where more dangers are lurking than you’d think.’ Sarah Epstein
- Reading age:9+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:14+Australian
- Reading age:13+
- Reading age:8+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:8+Australian
- Themes:Fantasy romance, strong heroine, epic fantasyReading age:13+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:Friendship, funny stories, self-acceptance, weird storiesReading age:8+Australian
- Themes:Identity, love, relationships, magical realismReading age:14+
- Themes:dealing with grief, self-acceptance, road trip, familyReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:dealing with death, coping with grief, friendshipReading age:13+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:own voices, world literature, multicultural stories, south asian literatureReading age:9+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:Friendship, understanding adults, self-confidence, independenceReading age:9+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Coming of Age, Romance, Small Town Life, Family, mental healthReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:Friendship, Family, Aliens, HomesickReading age:8openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:friendship, funny stories, self-acceptance, weird storiesReading age:8+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:identity, love, mysteryReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:space adventure, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:8+Australian
- Themes:Friendship, Teen suicide, Coming-of-Age, Teen relationships, teen alcoholism, supernaturalReading age:14+
- Themes:Autism, French teens, American teens, friendship, coming-of-age, ProustReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:Friendship, Social Skills, Adoption, WWII England, Coming of Age, Dealing with Abuse, Friendship, Family Life, LGBTQIAReading age:10+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:Friendship, Animal rights, Bravery, Coming-of-AgeReading age:9+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:Dystopian, Coming of Age, Refugees, Australia, Dystopia, self esteem & relianceReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Mental Health, Teen sexuality, LGBTQIA, Suicide, Romance, FriendshipReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian