Only a generation removed from being Pennsylvania potato farmers, property developers Gottfried and Marla Hemmings now sit atop a seven-figure bank account – wealth they’ve declined to pass on to their adult children or teenage grandchildren.
‘Because we want them to thrive,’ Marla always says. What does thriving look like? Like carrying a snow shovel everywhere. Like selling pot from a fast-food drive-thru window. Like a first-class ticket to Jamaica between cancer treatments. Like a flea circus in a trailer. Like the GPS coordinates to a mound of dirt in a New Jersey forest.
As the rot beneath the surface of the Hemmings’ suburban respectability begins to spread, the far-flung grandchildren gradually find their ways back to one another, just in time to uncover the terrible cost of maintaining the family name.
With her inimitable surrealism and insight into the teenage experience, YA master A.S. King explores how a corrosive culture of polite, affluent white supremacy tears a family apart and how one determined generation can save themselves.
- Themes:friendship, family and legacy, art, surrealism and creativity, cross-cultural identity, adolescence, magic and imaginationReading age:9+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:adventure, mystery, friendship, wealthReading age:10+Australian
- Themes:Autism, French teens, American teens, friendship, coming-of-age, ProustReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:13+
- Themes:Short stories, love, identity, LGBTQIReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:identity, teenage sexuality, the traps of social networkingReading age:15+
- Themes:counter-culture, indie music, surfing, sexualityReading age:15+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Identity, love, relationships, magical realismReading age:14+
- Themes:fantasy, morality, bullyingReading age:14+
- Themes:friendship, cancer, survival, identityReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:coming-of-age, celebrity, friendshipReading age:15+Australian
- Themes:friendship, identity, homelessness, grief, coming-of-ageReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:coming-of-age, friendship, escape, loveReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:homosexuality, friendshipReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:comedy, space travel, adventure, crime, family, suspenseReading age:14+Australian
- Reading age:14+Australian
- Reading age:14+
- Themes:grief, identity, family, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:identity, sibling relationships, guilt, philosophyReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:friendship, social networking, peer pressure, identityReading age:13+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:historical, friendship, identity, being true to yourselfReading age:10+Australian
- Themes:adventure, mystery, cold war, friendshipReading age:11+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:coming-of-age, road novel, identityReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:Dystopian, Technology, Paranormal, Thriller, RomanceReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:love, identity, friendship, class, crimeReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes