I stumbled towards the Meat House, my body shaking with the violence that raged within me, as the realisation of the mistake I had made in coming here rose to the surface of my mind. This was the last place I should be. That thought was crossed by another, even more terrifying.
This is exactly where I belong.
Asa’s running from a troubled past. To a remote outback town, a disappointing father and a fresh start that’s already souring.
But then the notorious Dirt Circus League arrives. A troupe of outcast teens performing spectacular fight sequences and challenging any who dares to take part. They’re ruthless. Menacing. Thrilling. And led by the magnetic Quarter. He’s dark, powerful and intensely attractive—and he faces a threat only Asa can see.
Will Asa be drawn into the league’s mysterious community?
And, as she discovers the violent secrets at its heart, will she delve into her own untapped abilities to save herself—and heal those caught in its evil web?
‘A gripping and intense genre-bender that doesn’t pull punches, set in Australia’s beautiful but hostile far north where more dangers are lurking than you’d think.’ Sarah Epstein
- Reading age:14+Australian
- Themes:counter-culture, indie music, surfing, sexualityReading age:15+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:crime-solving, rural living, family mysteriesReading age:13 +Australian
- Themes:dealing with death, coping with grief, friendshipReading age:13+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:10+Australian
- Themes:survival, honour, friendship, love, refugees, dystopiaReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Fantasy romance, strong heroine, epic fantasyReading age:13+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:friendship, family and legacy, art, surrealism and creativity, cross-cultural identity, adolescence, magic and imaginationReading age:9+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Short stories, love, identity, LGBTQIReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:intercultural understanding, environment, class, physical and mental survivalReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:grief, friendship, identity, supernatural, loveReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:friendship, cancer, survival, identityReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:8+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:friendship, time travel, conscienceReading age:10+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:LGBTQI, friendshipReading age:14+
- Themes:artistic freedom, Tiananmen SquareReading age:13+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:historical, friendship, identity, being true to yourselfReading age:10+Australian
- Themes:friendship, funny stories, self-acceptance, weird storiesReading age:8+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:free will and responsibility, humanity, destiny, philosophyReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:8+Australian
- Themes:LGBTQI, coming-of-age, friendship, moral and ethical conflictReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:love, identity, friendship, class, crimeReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:friendship, loving life, facing adversityReading age:12+openbookTeaching notesAustralian