‘You don’t kill them rainfish ’cause they’ll bring trouble. Rainstorms and floods and bad things.’
Aaron lives with his mum and older brother in a small town on the edge of a rainforest in tropical Far North Queensland. He’s sick of being the little brother, left out of all the interesting stuff the older kids get up to.
So when he meets Damon he’s keen to impress him. It’s all going well, until Damon suggests they break into the church. Aaron’s nervous and uncomfortable. But he can’t back out now – he’s only just beginning to be accepted.
When the theft is reported in the local newspaper and the police knock on the door, Aaron finds himself hiding the truth in a tangle of lies. And before long his deep sense of guilt and fear of being found out overwhelm him.
And then, when he discovers that the mudcod in the old bath in the backyard – the fish he’d caught in the river in the rainforest – are the rainfish of local legend, he becomes convinced that he is responsible for the terrible rainstorms and floods that devastate the town.
Rainfish is a delightful middle-grade novel exploring childhood innocence – a warm and humorous portrayal of a young boy trying to undo an impulsive mistake.
‘I was swept away by this stunning, swampy tale of the loneliness that comes with a guilty conscience. An absolutely unforgettable book.’ Carly Nugent, author of The Peacock Detectives
- Reading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:friendship, adventure, beginning high schoolReading age:8+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:pacific island cultures, WWII, identity, friendshipReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:coming-of-age, road novel, identityReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:Friendship, rural Australia, sisters, coming of ageReading age:12+Australian
- Reading age:8+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:time-travel, adventure, fantasy, steampunk, friendship, historyReading age:12+Australian
- Themes:dystopia, adventure, mystery, friendshipReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:friendship, identity, homelessness, grief, coming-of-ageReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:adventure, mystery, cold war, friendshipReading age:11+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:adventure, mystery, friendship, wealthReading age:10+Australian
- Themes:identity, anxiety, friendship, family, mysteryReading age:10+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:14+
- Reading age:14+Australian
- Themes:counter-culture, indie music, surfing, sexualityReading age:15+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:crime-solving, rural living, family mysteriesReading age:13 +Australian
- Themes:dealing with death, coping with grief, friendshipReading age:13+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:10+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:survival, honour, friendship, love, refugees, dystopiaReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Fantasy romance, strong heroine, epic fantasyReading age:13+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:friendship, family and legacy, art, surrealism and creativity, cross-cultural identity, adolescence, magic and imaginationReading age:9+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Short stories, love, identity, LGBTQIReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:intercultural understanding, environment, class, physical and mental survivalReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:14+openbookTeaching notes