A group of school-leavers: free at last, ready to party, expectations high.
A remote island on the Western Australian coast wasn’t exactly the plan, but they’re not going to let that hold them back.
Leonardo, geeky, asthmatic, shy and prone to anxiety, has landed with them. He’s terrified – he’s definitely not part of this cool gang. Super high-achiever Kaiya is trying to forget her frustration with her drug-addicted sister as well as dealing with pressure from the popular girls to lose her virginity. Mason, footy jock with the physique to match, is coming to terms with his secret desire for his best mate, Jared. And Jared wants a week off from his relationship with Val so he can have sex with as many girls as possible.
But the party takes a dangerous turn when Val is drugged and a man is later found dead on the beach. Blame, fear, mistrust, coverups, power plays and dark secrets tear the group apart and expose the deadly tensions beneath the surface. And each teen is forced to confront demons that will lead them either to devastating tragedy or transformative triumph.
Whoever survives the week will never be the same again.
The Brink is a raw, powerful novel that pulls no punches in its authentic exploration of masculinity, sexuality, mental health, drug and alcohol use, relationships and sex. Holden Sheppard takes the teenage experience to the next level.
‘Raw, exhilarating and emotionally charged, an absolute must read!’ Gary Lonesborough
- Reading age:8+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:16+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:dystopia, war, disease, friendship, survivalReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:homosexuality, friendshipReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:13+
- Themes:friendship, social networking, peer pressure, identityReading age:13+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:supernatural, family, mystery, multiculturalism, bullyingReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:sex, science, friendshipReading age:13+
- Reading age:9+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:identity, friendship, family, classReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:identity, survival, honour, sacrifice, friendship, guilt, courage, grief and lossReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:14+
- Themes:Dystopian, Technology, Paranormal, Thriller, RomanceReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:fantasy, morality, bullyingReading age:14+
- Themes:identity, mystery, environment, friendshipReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:identity, teenage sexuality, the traps of social networkingReading age:15+
- Themes:imagination, friendship, overcoming fearReading age:all ages
- Themes:adventure, mystery, friendship, wealthReading age:10+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Coming of Age, Romance, LGBTQIA, Small Town Life, Family,Reading age:14+Australian
- Themes:identity, friendship, drugs, coming-of-ageReading age:14+
- Themes:love, friendship, identity, mystery, relationshipsReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:adventure, mystery, friendship, wealthReading age:10+Australian