Bailey’s mum had always said that being by the creek with Bailey and her dad was as good as it gets. She had shown Bailey sap glistening on tree trunks. They had crouched together to nudge a beetle onto a leaf. They had sat on the creek’s edge with their bare feet in the water.
It’s one year since Bailey’s mum died. And her dad doesn’t seem to care much about anything. But Bailey still spends afternoons by the creek with her dog, Sheba.
Until Sheba gets sick—very sick—from something she must have swallowed while swimming in the creek. And Bailey notices all the rubbish polluting the waterway.
Between visits to Sheba in the vet hospital, Bailey tries to find a way to make the creek safe for Sheba and other animals. And through her unexpected friendship with Israel, a quiet boy who knows about endangered species, Bailey Finch finds the courage to take a stand.
‘Bailey Finch reminds us that change is possible when good people take a stand. A beautiful, inspiring tale about a true hero.’ Penny Tangey
- Themes:adventure, mystery, action, steampunk, friendshipReading age:9+Australian
- Themes:friendship, standing up for your beliefs, overcoming hardshipReading age:9+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:grief, identity, family, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:Friendship, funny stories, self-acceptance, weird storiesReading age:8+Australian
- Themes:fantasy, identity, friendship, loveReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:grief, identity, family, friendshipReading age:11+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:9+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:society, racism, overcoming evilReading age:11+
- Themes:dealing with grief, self-acceptance, road trip, familyReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:coming-of-age, celebrity, friendshipReading age:15+Australian
- Themes:friendship, freedom, migrant lifeReading age:13+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:identity, LGBTQI, family, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:15+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:9+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Mental Health, Peer Pressure, Coming of Age, Friendship, Family, Ghost storyReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:14+Australian
- Themes:adventure, mystery, friendship, wealthReading age:10+Australian
- Themes:Friendship, understanding adults, self-confidence, independenceReading age:9+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:adventure, friendshipReading age:9+Australian
- Themes:adventure, mystery, friendshipReading age:9+Australian
- Themes:sleep, patience, humour, illustratedReading age:2+
- Reading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:verse novel, love, identity, LGBTQIReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:8+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:Coming of Age, Romance, Small Town Life, Family, mental healthReading age:14+Australian