It’s midnight and I’m alone in the kitchen eating a cold potato scallop. Coach O'Call would say something like, ‘That’s not what I expect from a scholarship girl!’ because I have to be up for squad training in five hours and I’m not supposed to go near potato scallops, and—oh, yeah—it’s my fifth.
Cat has recently started at a new school on a sports scholarship, and she’s feeling the pressure of early morning training sessions and the need for total commitment. Fanny loves to swim and she lives for racing, but family chores and low expectations for girls make it very hard for her to fit in even the occasional training session.
Cat and Fanny have never met. They both live in the same Sydney suburb, but in different worlds, or at least different times: Cat in current-day Sydney, and Fanny in 1908. But one day, time slips and they swap places.
As each girl lives the other’s life, with all the challenges and confusion it presents, she comes to appreciate and understand herself and the role of swimming in her own life.
Narrated in alternating chapters by Cat and Fanny, Elsewhere Girls is a moving and funny story of two girls with a deep connection, one based on the Australian Olympic champion, Fanny Durack. It’s a fresh and engaging exploration of the challenges and pressures for young women growing up in the past and today.
‘Two fabulous characters working out what matters most—I love Cat and Fan so much!’ Sally Rippin
- Themes:adventure, environment, friendshipReading age:13+Australian
- Themes:depression, friendship, sexual identity, suicide, academic pressure, love, adolescent confusionReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:space adventure, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:8+Australian
- Themes:road safety, grief, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:friendship, imagination, courageReading age:10+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:supernatural, family, mystery, multiculturalism, bullyingReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:supernatural, friendship, identityReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:identity, friendship, family, classReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:identity, survival, honour, sacrifice, friendship, guilt, courage, grief and lossReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Dystopian, Technology, Paranormal, Thriller, RomanceReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:the future, climate change, scienceReading age:13+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:identity, mystery, environment, friendshipReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:adventure, mystery, friendship, wealthReading age:10+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Coming of Age, Romance, LGBTQIA, Small Town Life, Family,Reading age:14+Australian
- Themes:adventure, mystery, friendship, wealthReading age:10+Australian
- Themes:Dystopian, Coming of Age, Refugees, Australia, Dystopia, self esteem & relianceReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:11+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:music, friendship, overcoming fear, cultural differencesReading age:9+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:settlement, land rights, identityReading age:15 +Australian
- Themes:Friendship, rural Australia, sisters, coming of ageReading age:12+Australian
- Themes:Shakespeare, first love, dysfunctional familiesReading age:13+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:8+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:grief, love, philosophy, sexReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:adventure, friendship, survivalReading age:13+Australian