It’s midnight and I’m alone in the kitchen eating a cold potato scallop. Coach O'Call would say something like, ‘That’s not what I expect from a scholarship girl!’ because I have to be up for squad training in five hours and I’m not supposed to go near potato scallops, and—oh, yeah—it’s my fifth.
Cat has recently started at a new school on a sports scholarship, and she’s feeling the pressure of early morning training sessions and the need for total commitment. Fanny loves to swim and she lives for racing, but family chores and low expectations for girls make it very hard for her to fit in even the occasional training session.
Cat and Fanny have never met. They both live in the same Sydney suburb, but in different worlds, or at least different times: Cat in current-day Sydney, and Fanny in 1908. But one day, time slips and they swap places.
As each girl lives the other’s life, with all the challenges and confusion it presents, she comes to appreciate and understand herself and the role of swimming in her own life.
Narrated in alternating chapters by Cat and Fanny, Elsewhere Girls is a moving and funny story of two girls with a deep connection, one based on the Australian Olympic champion, Fanny Durack. It’s a fresh and engaging exploration of the challenges and pressures for young women growing up in the past and today.
‘Two fabulous characters working out what matters most—I love Cat and Fan so much!’ Sally Rippin
- Themes:adventure, mystery, friendshipReading age:9+Australian
- Themes:racism, friendship, family, identityReading age:12+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:space adventure, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:8+Australian
- Themes:Autism, French teens, American teens, friendship, coming-of-age, ProustReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:road safety, grief, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:falling in love, family and social dislocation, suicideReading age:14+
- Reading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:identity, sibling relationships, guilt, philosophyReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:friendship, imagination, courageReading age:10+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Reading age:8+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:dystopia, war, disease, friendship, survivalReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:homosexuality, friendshipReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:13+
- Themes:friendship, social networking, peer pressure, identityReading age:13+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:supernatural, family, mystery, multiculturalism, bullyingReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:sex, science, friendshipReading age:13+
- Themes:identity, friendship, family, classReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:identity, survival, honour, sacrifice, friendship, guilt, courage, grief and lossReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Dystopian, Technology, Paranormal, Thriller, RomanceReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:fantasy, morality, bullyingReading age:14+
- Themes:identity, mystery, environment, friendshipReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:identity, teenage sexuality, the traps of social networkingReading age:15+
- Themes:imagination, friendship, overcoming fearReading age:all ages
- Themes:adventure, mystery, friendship, wealthReading age:10+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Coming of Age, Romance, LGBTQIA, Small Town Life, Family,Reading age:14+Australian