I have questions I’ve never asked. Worries I’ve never shared. Thoughts that circle and collide and die screaming because they never make it outside my head. Stuff like that, if you let it go—it’s a survival risk.
Sixteen-year-old Nate McKee is doing his best to be invisible. He’s worried about a lot of things—how his dad treats Nance and his twin half-brothers; the hydro crop in his bedroom; his reckless friend, Merrick.
Nate hangs out at the local youth centre and fills his notebooks with things he can’t say. But when some of his pages are stolen, and his words are graffitied at the centre, Nate realises he has allies. He might be able to make a difference, change his life, and claim his future. Or can he?
‘This is How We Change the Ending is [Vikki Wakefield’s] best book and my YA novel of the year. It may well be the perfect YA novel.’ Joy Lawn
- Themes:depression, friendship, sexual identity, suicide, academic pressure, love, adolescent confusionReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:LGBTQI, coming-of-age, friendship, moral and ethical conflictReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:homosexuality, friendshipReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:Mental Health, Teen sexuality, LGBTQIA, Suicide, Romance, FriendshipReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Coming of Age, Romance, LGBTQIA, Small Town Life, Family,Reading age:14+Australian
- Reading age:14+
- Themes:LGBTQI, friendshipReading age:14+
- Themes:Identity, love, relationships, magical realismReading age:14+
- Themes:Friendship, Social Skills, Adoption, WWII England, Coming of Age, Dealing with Abuse, Friendship, Family Life, LGBTQIAReading age:10+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:grief, pregnancy, identity, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:identity, love, mysteryReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:identity, LGBTQI, family, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:15+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:homosexuality, friendship, depressionReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes