It’s Singapore in 1940, war is just around the corner – but twelve-year-old Lizard doesn’t know that. He lives in Chinatown above a tailor’s shop, surviving on his wits and hustling for odd jobs.
When he steals a small teak box containing a Japanese code book from a Raffles Hotel suite, he finds himself in a dangerous world of wartime espionage. Lizard doesn’t know who to trust. How is the mysterious book inside the box connected to his friend Lili, a girl full of secrets and fighting skills? Can he trust her, or will she betray him in the end?
Lizard’s Tale is an action-packed adventure for middle-grade readers, set in a British colony in Asia as the Japanese invasion of Singapore looms.
- Themes:explorers, history, survivalReading age:12+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:identity, friendship, drugs, coming-of-ageReading age:14+
- Themes:artistic freedom, Tiananmen SquareReading age:13+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:history, Australian explorersReading age:12+Australian
- Themes:the future, climate change, scienceReading age:13+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:pacific island cultures, WWII, identity, friendshipReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:fear, family secrets, mysteryReading age:15+