Mom and Dad told me about the divorce at a ‘family meeting’. I sat on the couch, between them. They didn’t look happy, and I suddenly got worried that something was wrong with our cat, Red. That they were going to tell me he was dying. But that wasn’t it.
When Bea’s parents got divorced, there were big changes for Bea, and also lots of things that stayed the same. But it’s not always easy living in two separate apartments.
When her dad announces that he and his boyfriend, Jesse, are getting married, Bea is excited that Jesse’s daughter will become the sister she’s always wanted. But as the wedding approaches, Bea’s joy is clouded by a terrible secret she has kept hidden since last summer.
‘A beautiful reminder of the importance of making mistakes, feeling feelings, and forgiving yourself.’ Carly Nugent
- Themes:Holocaust, friendship, survivalReading age:12+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:Shakespeare, first love, dysfunctional familiesReading age:13+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:racism, friendship, family, identityReading age:12+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:explorers, history, survivalReading age:12+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:artistic freedom, Tiananmen SquareReading age:13+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:history, Australian explorersReading age:12+Australian
- Themes:pacific island cultures, WWII, identity, friendshipReading age:14+Australian
- Themes:fear, family secrets, mysteryReading age:15+