Please note: Manuscript submissions are now closed while we read entries for the Text Prize for Young Adult and Children’s Writing. We will be open for submissions again once the shortlist has been selected.
We are broadly interested in publishing fiction and non-fiction, including middle grade and young adult, and welcome submissions from writers in accordance with the following guidelines:
- We are not considering poetry, play scripts, screenplays, picture books, activity or poster books, individual short stories, technical manuals, cookbooks, how-to guides, travel guides or educational textbooks.
- Submissions should be from citizens or residents of Australia and/or New Zealand.
- We can only consider one manuscript per person at a time.
- Junior-fiction and middle-grade manuscripts should be between 10,000 and 80,000 words. Adult and young-adult manuscripts should be between 40,000 and 120,000 words. There is no word count requirement for graphic novels.
- Due to the large volume of submissions, we are unable to provide individual editorial advice.
- If you do not meet these guidelines, your manuscript will not be considered.
- It takes approximately three months for submissions to be considered, and it may be longer depending on the volume of submissions. You will be advised by email when your submission has been considered.
We look forward to reading your work.
Note: Changes were made to our submission guidelines on 19 January 2021. If your manuscript was submitted before this date and met the previous guidelines, it will still be considered.
Also check out the Text Prize for Young Adults and Children’s Writing for the opportunity to win a publishing contract with Text.