Only a generation removed from being Pennsylvania potato farmers, property developers Gottfried and Marla Hemmings now sit atop a seven-figure bank account – wealth they’ve declined to pass on to their adult children or teenage grandchildren.
‘Because we want them to thrive,’ Marla always says. What does thriving look like? Like carrying a snow shovel everywhere. Like selling pot from a fast-food drive-thru window. Like a first-class ticket to Jamaica between cancer treatments. Like a flea circus in a trailer. Like the GPS coordinates to a mound of dirt in a New Jersey forest.
As the rot beneath the surface of the Hemmings’ suburban respectability begins to spread, the far-flung grandchildren gradually find their ways back to one another, just in time to uncover the terrible cost of maintaining the family name.
With her inimitable surrealism and insight into the teenage experience, YA master A.S. King explores how a corrosive culture of polite, affluent white supremacy tears a family apart and how one determined generation can save themselves.
- Themes:identity, anxiety, friendship, family, mysteryReading age:10+openbookTeaching notes
- Reading age:13+
- Themes:friendship, cancer, survival, identityReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:Australian history, illustratedReading age:10+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:friendship, identity, homelessness, grief, coming-of-ageReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:historical, friendship, identity, being true to yourselfReading age:10+Australian
- Themes:the future, artificial intelligence, human identity, philosophyReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:adventure, friendship, survivalReading age:13+Australian
- Themes:unemployment, Australian history, rights, identityReading age:12+Australian
- Themes:Fantasy romance, strong heroine, epic fantasyReading age:13+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:identity, friendship, family, classReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:friendship, time travel, conscienceReading age:10+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:adventure, horror, fantasy, friendshipReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:World War I, Anzacs on the Western FrontReading age:12+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:identity, LGBTQI, family, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:15+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:homosexuality, friendship, depressionReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:Dystopian, Coming of Age, Refugees, Australia, Dystopia, self esteem & relianceReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:depression, friendship, sexual identity, suicide, academic pressure, love, adolescent confusionReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:dystopia, adventure, mystery, friendshipReading age:14+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:holocaust, moral choices, good and evil, friendship, IdentityReading age:14+
- Themes:fear, family secrets, mysteryReading age:15+
- Themes:adventure, family, identity, disability, friendship, history, WWIIReading age:10+openbookTeaching notes
- Themes:settlement, land rights, identityReading age:15 +Australian
- Themes:grief, pregnancy, identity, friendship, coming-of-ageReading age:14+openbookTeaching notesAustralian
- Themes:sex, science, friendshipReading age:13+