Text Publishing is looking for an experienced Publicity Manager to lead its busy, highly effective publicity team.
The successful applicant will demonstrate a passion for books, exceptional communication and time-management skills, and the ability to strategise and lead a small, hard-working team. Experience in a similar role within the publishing industry is essential.
Applications must include a response to selection criteria, and must be received at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on Monday 18 April 2016.
Position description—Publicity Manager, Text Publishing
Text Publishing’s publicity department is strongly author-focused, with an emphasis on excellent relationships with the media and book trade. The team works energetically across front and backlist titles, and has a great reputation for its prominent publicity campaigns and proactive and supportive approach to authors.
- A love of books and reading
- Experience in a similar role in the publishing industry
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to initiate and maintain relationships across a wide range of contacts
- Excellent organisational capabilities and the ability to manage time, multitask and prioritise for maximum efficiency
- Ability to strategise and lead a team to deliver outstanding publicity campaigns
- Computing skills: Word, InDesign, databases (FilemakerPro).
- Generating coverage of new releases through print, radio, television and online media in Australia and New Zealand
- Expanding Text’s national profile through constant media analysis, exploring new avenues, maintaining and constantly expanding up-to-date media and community interest databases
- Arranging, publicising and attending author events and launches, with budgeting responsibilities for same
- Performing caretaking duties for Australian and international authors on tour, including literary festivals in Australia and New Zealand, and managing touring budgets
- Writing copy for press materials, catalogues, flyers, bound proofs and invitations
- Preparing sales materials on schedule for our distributor’s (PRH) sales teams in Australia and New Zealand
- Managing the publicity team: running meetings, allocating titles, balancing workload, coordinating staff for festivals and events, authorising publicity-related expenses, etc
- Developing and overseeing publicity strategies across all titles; discussing those strategies at monthly PERM meetings (Publicity, Editorial, Rights and Marketing)
- Managing the publicity budget and tracking ongoing expenses
- Conducting annual performance reviews with publicity staff
- Representing publicity at acquisitions and cover meetings as required; reading manuscripts on submission and providing advice about acquisition of new titles
- Liaising with national and international directors of literary festivals: creating strategies, pitching authors, doing follow up mailings etc. Planning and securing funding for tours for international authors and forthcoming titles
- Working closely with the Sales and Marketing Director to coordinate all aspects of promotional activities
Terms: This is a full-time, ongoing position based in Melbourne
Reporting: To the Sales & Marketing Director
Salary: To be negotiated with the successful applicant